Architecture is a very rich and diverse profession because it allows for so many unique career paths, and architecture companies are now hiring roles that didn’t exist even three years ago. Here’s a look at five emerging career paths design technology will make possible in 2018 and the immediate future :
Chief Technology Officers
With the rapid evolution of design technology, it’s important for firms to have individuals and teams focused on ensuring they are always leveraging the best tools and processes to deliver for their clients.
- Ensuring design teams are constantly implementing innovative digital design technology and refining its use.
- Creating roadmaps for how digital design will grow in their practice over the years ahead and are then responsible for its execution.
Immersive Reality Modelers
Given how leading-edge virtual environments can directly improve client opportunities, architects would be wise to consider boosting their VR modeling skills ASAP.
- Makes communication between designers, clients and end users more meaningful by placing clients in virtual environments years before actual buildings are completed.
- Helps clients and end users understand spatial qualities in new ways, ask better questions and recognize challenges or opportunities that strengthen the final product.
- Helps clients feel more confident about their investment.
Virtual Simulation Designers
Architects who begin to build skills that will help them scenario-test situations for clients can differentiate themselves for future career opportunities.
- Want to ensure you’ve designed a hospital to be successfully evacuated in the face of a hurricane? Create a VR model and then simulate evacuation scenarios as wind, rain and possible destruction occurs.
- Want to ensure sound from a community pool won’t make apartments less desirable for rent? Build a model and test the parameters to understand if the noise will be a deterrence.
- Want more ?
Haptic Interface Designers
Today’s VR models allow clients to see their future spaces, but before too long, haptics will make it possible for us to feel them too, leading to more informed decision-making around materials, surfaces, furniture and more.
- Designers who understand haptic technology will be a prized commodity in the future.
- Once clients realize the awesome benefits of being able to see and touch spaces years before they exist, architecture firms will invest heavily in uniting the technologies.
The importance of data collection and its classification is driving more design firms to hire data scientists and analysts to fuel the potential of these new technologies.
- To catalize performance analytics and data-driven generative design
- To serve as the foundation for leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning.